May 22, 2012

Anti-blogging

The above title pretty much sums up how I've felt about blogging for the past month or so.  I have visited my page several times and as I go to sign in and start typing, my mind wanders to another activity.  I guess I've been drawing a bit of a blank when it comes to what I want my blog to be about; is it our daily adventures, a place for reflection, a place for randomness, maybe a place for pictures?  And it's all of those things, but I haven't felt like typing them down.  Until today;  I'm realizing how precious these first few years of marriage are to me and John, and how quickly the memories fade and mesh together.  This blog is about us, whatever that means and where ever we are at.

SO!  On that note...

I have been loving my summer life.  I really don't know if I could ever express the appreciation and gratitude I feel for the opportunities I have been given.  Living in El Paso is amazing, and this being our second year back a little piece of me felt like I was coming home.  We live in the same apartment complex and I am so familiar with my surroundings.  This year I have been able to get to know more beautiful people, the wives and girlfriends of the guys working with my husband.  I've never met a group of women more dedicated and kind and helpful than the girls who support their husbands through the summer.  It's not always easy being away from family, with limited access to transportation and to time with your spouse.  But don't get me wrong; most of the time, it's a cinch!  We play all day, lay out by the pool, have grocery shopping buddies, take daily naps (as if we need them), and have built in friends that live steps away.  Let's face it, I'm a lucky girl!

I have to give credit where credit is due, and that's to my incredible husband John.  I am always so proud to see how respected and loved he is when he is working with the guys; so many have expressed admiration and appreciation for him to me.  I love opening our home to hungry single kids who need a good meal, who stay for hours getting advice and relaxing after a hard day of work.  I would love to say that I always see how amazing John is, but it's easy to lose sight of how great you have it sometimes.  During the summer I am constantly reminded of what a wonderful man my husband is.  He is giving, selfless, thoughtful, and a dang hard worker.  Our family has always been provided for and it's all due to his devotion to me, his work, his schooling, and the gospel.  I am blessed to love such a wonderful person. 

We are so looking forward to June, as we will be headed to Chicago for John's internship with British Petroleum (BP).  We will be there for two months and I can't wait!  Our apartment is just a couple blocks from all the best shopping, and nearby the beach, museums, and most importantly my sister-in-law's work! ;)  I can't wait to spend some time with her and my brother.  I haven't lived close to my brother in nearly 8 years now and it's long overdue.  I'm a little nervous to be living downtown in such a big city but I can't wait to explore and familiarize myself with it.  That ought to be a great little blog series; "Katie's adventures in Chicago".  I will be investing in some mace and an iphone cover with a wallet for sure!  More on that later :).  John's sister and her family live just outside the city and I can't wait to see them as well!  Sarah had a little boy at 27 weeks last year and I only got to see him through the glass at the NICU.  I can happily report baby is home and growing like a weed, and I can't wait to go hold and snuggle him!!

I will leave this update here for now;  I feel like my little blogging lag is finally over, so be expecting more from me!

Love,
Katie

No comments: