July 15, 2010

Books.---I.Read.Them.

I am a bookworm again.  I have read 4 books in the past month and am on to the next one.  I absolutely LOVE. reading.  It takes up some of the lonely hours while I am at home by myself.  I bring a book to the pool and stand in in the shallow end, and lean against the edge of pool to read.  I have read a couple of my books on IBooks on my IPhone.  While this has been convenient, because I can get books for free or for much cheaper than the bookstore price, there is nothing like holding a real book in my hands.  The way they smell, turning the page, seeing that I am almost half way through!  I love reading a book that has belonged to someone for a long time.  The dusty, faded pages have their own story to tell, with the stains from someone's sandwich smeared across a sentence while the searched for their spot on the page, the torn spots from eager fingers wondering what will happen next in the story; it's all a part of the magic.   If you are looking for books to read, here's the ones I've read recently, and ones that I hope to read.

This book is Immaculee's incredible story of survival, strength, and faith through the genocide in Rwanda in 1994.  Her words are chilling as you try to begin to imagine what she went through but it left me wanting a stronger relationship with my Heavenly Father.
 I almost forgot about this book!  This is a phenomenal true story of two people brought together by one woman's dream.  Ron Hall was a ritsy art dealer with the most amazing, God loving wife, who encouraged him to be friends with Denver Moore who, at the time, was homeless in Texas.  The friendship that results is so powerful, as they face lives greatest joys and sorrows together.  LOVED IT. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN.  YOU REALLY SHOULD READ IT.



The I completely switched paces and read Nicholas Sparks' The Last Song, which was extremely captivating.  I was addicted and could not stop reading!  It's no wonder the movie industry has become attached to all his stories.  The imagery he uses and the emotions he conveys are so easy to identify with (even if I did have to imagine Ronnie as Miley Cyrus ;)   ) I haven't seen the movie but now I want to!

My dad recommended this book a while back and I remembered in when I was looking for a book to read on IBooks.  It took me back into the wars of Africa but in a completely different way.  This is about the war in Sierra Leone, and Ishmael was a child soldier for the army and his experiences are hard to describe.  Basically, I can't explain it in one sentence-you should probably just read it.

Right now I am reading the Alchemist, and I am loving it.  It's all about finding your personal legend, and how the universe is there to help you achieve your destiny, through the story of one boy's journey.  Every sentence is perfectly crafted, and all the thoughts lead up to one profound phrase that makes you want to be the eloquent, that deep in your own thinking.  I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

I have several more books on my list after this book, which I will have to do another post about when I read them.  If there is one thing I appreciate about my summer in Iowa it's the opportunity to really dig down into myself and pull out all these past loves like my love for reading, my desire to learn, and the basic need for relaxation!  Sometimes I feel bored but I know I won't get to read book after book of my own choice once I start school this fall, so I will take advantage of it while I can!

Love, Katie

No comments: