July 18, 2010

a day in the life of an APX wife (or girlfriend ;) )

Being a wife in an APX summer office is a lot of things-some days it's really fun, laying out by the pool and exploring a place you've never been before.  Other days you are bored and tired, and not working yourself REALLY gets to you.  Your husband is gone from 11 in the morning until 11 at night, and you have twelve hours of beautiful, summer season daytime to spend.  Then you stay up until 1, 2, 3 in the morning spending time with your husband when he gets home.  It is definitely a unique experience-not even what I have told you will prepare a girl for what you are getting into out here.  In the situation I am in, I had never met the other girls out here, and we come from completely different backgrounds and experiences.  But the simple fact is, you have no one else to keep you company throughout the day, so you are automatic friends.  I have loved getting to know these girls.  They are people I probably would never have come in contact with in any other situation, whether it's because they live far away from me or they have interests in different things than me.  However they are some of the most kind, amazing girls I have ever met, and I've learned that I could be interested in LOTS of different things given the opportunity and meeting people who love what they love.  Yesterday was one of the days that we all hung out ALL DAY and it was so much fun!

Yesterday morning we all got up and went to the Cedar Rapids Farmer's Market.  They sell everything from fruits and vegetables, jewelry, crafts, tie-dyed shirts, food, and other assorted goods.  The pictures above are one of the bridges in downtown, our shadows in the filthy Cedar river, and from left to right that is Julie, Amy, Me, and Kelli.  Julie is from Idaho and goes to BYU Hawaii, Amy is from Salt Lake City and just graduated from Dixie State and Kelli is from San Clemente, California.  Then there's me from good old Iowa and Orem, Utah ;)

Then we went to Olive Garden.  The breadsticks were AMAZING.  Kelli had never been before!  She loved it :)  
Then we saw a ferris wheel in the distance.  And had to go.  :)
Us on the ferris wheel!  That's George, he asked to be in a picture with us.  Awesome. :) Then Kelli, Amy, and I went on a late night walk before the boys came home.  Like what my night lighting on my camera did to the picture?  I thought it was pretty cool.. :)


Then John came home and took me on a date. Saturday nights are the best because we always go out and are so excited for the next day cuz it's John's day off!  We saw Inception which is SWEET movie and I can't wait to go see it again and own it some day.  

Love always, Katie

No comments: