August 28, 2011

The Calm Before The Storm (and LOTW)

Welp, it's been a busy week for us Taylor's!  For one thing, John surprised me and came home early early on Tuesday morning.  Don't worry, I totally cried when he peeked his head in the door to wake me up.  I had no idea he was coming and it was just total relief to have him back with me!  Having him back usually always means a busy schedule; John loves to have things planned out and knows just how to get everything done.  Suddenly we were moved into our apartment, grocery shopping, decorating, seeing friends, hanging out with family, back to school shopping (YAY), and back to church in our ward.  We got to go to Park City and have dinner with John's mission president and his wife, who fed us delicious food, gave us sound advice, and a lot of laughs.  I even was so lucky to get Sister Drewes' chicken pot pie recipe, I am so excited to try it out.

Church was really wonderful today and I am so happy to be where it feels like home!  The really nice thing is that because it's a student married ward, we are learning and discussing with people our age and in our same situation.  It's interesting to hear the perspectives of our peers and of their love for the gospel.  After church we rushed home, changed, made a salad (greens, strawberries, grapes, nectarines, mozzarella cheese, red wine vinaigrette, mmmmm)  and headed up American Fork canyon with my family for a sunday picnic.  If you haven't already taken a drive up there, do yourself a favor and go because it's beautiful.  We found the perfect spot and roasted hot dogs, ate lots of good food and chatted it up with everyone.  My nieces were thrilled with the landscape and had a good time hiking around while us adults got some time to talk with one another.  

Finally we got home, changed into pajamas, cleaned the apartment, and are now both sitting quietly on the computer.  There is nothing left to do, no obligations, no where to be, just time to sit and relax.  I know that this is only the calm before the storm; because real life starts again tomorrow.  John and I are back to school and back to a schedule.  I am also looking for a part time job this fall, because my classes don't really take up a lot of time (only monday, wednesday, friday from 1-4 and monday wednesday 6-7:40).  For me personally I want some responsibility to get my bum out of bed in the morning and get busy doing something!  So if anyone out there knows of something, let me know. :)  I have a kitchen full of food and planned meals to eat at home and am just so beyond grateful to have the life that I do. 

So here are my lesson's of the week that I promised I would be doing, I am excited to keep on top of this!

1.  It's all about perspective.  No matter what the situation if you decide to look at things positively, they will be positive.  Like John always says, "Just be happy."  :)

2. You can always find time to busy.  Make sure you make time for fun.  

3. I got called to be the music coordinator in Relief Society, and am honestly pretty excited about it.  Basically I get to do a 3-5 minute talk in during the opening on a spiritually guided musical thought.  I have always loved music and am excited to look through the hymns of the church and see how they relate to scriptures and to the lessons being taught.  While this may seem like a small and simple calling, "it is by small and simple things that great things come to pass."  

4. Life is just not meant to be gone through alone!!!  John helps me so much and I am so happy to have a loving spouse to share everything with.  

5. My thoughts have still been turned towards friendship this week, and what it means to truly be a friend, and what I want in my own friends.  I have realized that I have had a lot of guidance to wonderful friends, and been guided away from friends that are not so wonderful.  Through the influence of better friends I am becoming a better person, and am realizing the impact of these relationships on my life.  


Speaking of friends (and family), we love you guys!  We send our love and compassion to those of you starting school with us tomorrow, and good luck to everyone as the summer months fade away and our fall endeavors start!  

Love, Katie  

1 comment:

Alaina said...

I knew I could count on you for LOTW! I love all of them. I am a fan of the idea that as we grow & change, so too do our close friends. It only makes sense that our close relationships will change over time.

I am a pro at making myself busy just because. I'm going to work on that.