May 16, 2011

Life and Making Other Plans

As you all know I have been so stoked to be living in Houston and the area around us has been so nice.  The wives in the office are so great and I loved it there.  Using the past tense "loved" there may give away the hint that we are no longer living in Houston.  And we are not!  This last Saturday we moved to El Paso so John could sell out here.  I'm not gonna lie, I am missing Houston and all the friends I made there already.  But obviously the important thing right now is that John is in an area he can really do well in, and this office has been rocking it as far as sales go.  Short term sacrifice for long term gain, that's the way I am choosing to view it!

This has totally changed my view point of the summer as I haven't really researched much of what there is to do here!  As of right now we are also staying in a hotel until an apartment is ready for us, so I haven't really been able to start getting settled in to things just yet.  But I honestly can't complain much.  From what I have seen there are still lots of good places to eat here, which to a Chatterley girl like me is always a plus.  We have a Wet N' Wild water park nearby that I am dying to go to, and everything is so close to where we are at so that makes me feel more comfortable driving around.  John is also really happy to be here which really makes everything worth it.  I haven't gotten to know anyone yet as we are in the hotel but I am sure I will!

On our way out here, we had a little adventure that tested both my patience and my sense of humor.  We were still about 7 hours away (It's a 12 hour drive from Houston to El Paso.  Isn't it crazy you can drive for 12 HOURS and still be in the same state? Weird) and I had been napping for a couple of hours.  I woke up to John talking on the phone and suddenly our car starts freaking out with dinging noises and a big scary red triangle with a ! in the middle of it.  Turns out that my usually so on top of it, conscientious   husband had not been paying attention to the gas gage.  We were completely and utterly out of gas.  He pulled over and just started to laugh, which irritated the living day lights out of me.  I was not ready for it to be funny just yet, especially when we passed the last town 7 miles ago and there was no sign of another in sight!  I warned John that if we didn't figure something out he'd have to walk back and get us some gas so we could get going again!  Luckily John didn't let my bad attitude get him down and kept a smile on his face while we found our Allstate Roadside Assistance card.  Luckily there was a provider that could come bring us gas!  All time considered we were out there for about an hour, and it could have been a lot worse.  John got me laughing and joking around with him so my mood got better pretty quickly.  But it was SO HOT and I had the window rolled down, pouring water over my legs to try and cool down!  That texas sun is unforgiving I tell you.

Suffering in the 90 degree heat waiting for gas! With all of our stuff packed tight in the back.  We were pretty uncomfortable. 

Once I knew someone would be there soon I was quick to forgive my cute husband for his honest mistake.  It is pretty uncharacteristic of him and I know he would be so sweet to me in the same situation.

They say life is what happens while you are making other plans and I am certainly learning that lesson.  It's not the easiest thing in the world but it does help me to be grateful and makes me put my trust in the Lord.  I know He leads and guides us where we need to go and I just need to have faith in that so my attitude can stay positive!  It's definitely something I need to work on, and it's teaching me to be more selfless.  While living in a new place I wasn't planning on and missing home and Houston is hard for me, I know that John has been praying for a great experience this summer and this is where the Lord has led us.  In that sense I am so happy to be here to support my husband.  He is so kind and giving to me.  So there's a little update of what we are doing and our new location!  Now to just get settled and move on with the rest of our summer.  I still have so many things to look forward to, especially my brother's upcoming nuptials next month and seeing my family!

Hope everything is going great for all of you.  I appreciate you reading and your comments so much!

Love,
Katie

No comments: