Now, why am I looking for more spiritual experiences? Honestly, I am feeling spiritually starved and disconnected. When I am home, I have a really specific schedule that I work well with. I know exactly when I will have time to go to the temple, I know when I will be able to read my scriptures, and I go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, making prayer a better habit. I have responsibility in my ward, so I love to go. I really like structure, and in the summer, all structure goes out the window. I have no responsibilities except to keep my house clean and in order. I make dinner every night around 8:30 which I absolutely love, and run errands throughout the week. As far as the rest of my time goes, it's all up to me. So now you are saying, "Okay, Katie, then why aren't you spending more time feeding that spiritual hunger?" Good question! It's a pretty lazy answer; I am an awesome procrastinator, especially when I have lots of extra time on my hands. I can always read my scriptures later, but then end up not reading them. I can pray when I go to bed, but then I'm too tired. This ward isn't my ward, so I'm not really paying attention. See the recipe for disaster here? It's a slippery slope.
That's why this challenge is perfect for me. It's included in the book 21 Days Closer to Christ by Emily Freeman. (Alecia's blog has a link to buy the book, or you can buy it on your e-reader of choice like I did!) It has a daily theme with a story, scripture to read, a prompting to pray, and a challenge to consider. Lot's of structure, and a daily commitment from me to do it. I've decided to follow Alecia's example and blog a little bit each day about my journey.
Already I can see the Lord's hand in my life, just by simply asking for it. I am blessed to have a friend in Alecia, who has always inspired me since we were teenagers. She couldn't have known that right as she posted the blog, I was asking my Heavenly Father for a way to grow spiritually; but He did, and led me to it.
-Katie
3 comments:
wow - this is exactly what i needed! thank you for posting this. i think i'll join!
Yay!!! That makes me so happy Katie. When I read Alecia's blog I was like "yes, I need this." So happy to pass that feeling along!
Awesome. And don't feel bad about the "lazy" summer - I'm totally the same way on vacation of any sort. I spent 2 weeks laying around Portland and did I do anything spiritually productive? Of course not. :)
Post a Comment